Wednesday 8 October 2008

More type9 gearbox welding

I think i have found the fault of the two missing gears and it wasn't the missing bush. I took great care to get the selector piece pinned in the right part of the shaft but I completely missed that the casting cutoff has to be repositioned with as much care.

Luckily i had barely gone past the tack weld stage so it was still easy to remove, Now I think that I was about 1mm out sideways before. I will have to tack weld in a new position and try again. This will hopefully happen soon as i pick up the gas i need to continue welding tomorrow.

In the mean time I have turned a bearing bush. Bearing material was going to be expensive as I would have to buy a long length to use 20mm of it. My solution was to make a bearing carrier out of aluminium that i had and add a high spec metal composite bearing bought from a company called Brammer. Once fitted it was clear that it would need to be shortened because I could not get the full throw of the gearlever in the forward and back position. I will tweak this tomorrow and recheck that all is well

No comments: