Monday 16 March 2009

Spitfire Electronic ignition part 5

The ignition unit is now finished and working. I'll have to use the car a bit to see if it;s reliable. The finished picture is shown below. I will add a picture in the car soon.


There were a few teething troubles which were caused by my lack of ability more than anything else. I fried a total of 3 transistors, 1 diode and 3 resistors. Oh and gave myself a 300v shock bonus !

The other thing i noticed was a poor spark on the conventional points system. One new 12 volt Bosch blue coil helped no end. Should have done that sooner. what an improvement !

I still have a few tests to run, like shorting out part of the PCB circuit and seeing if the 300V rail drops when the spark output is at 1000 sparks per second. Now a thousand sparks a second is something to see and hear i'll try and post a clip at some point.

Another job is to reset the ignition timing as it probably a little out, a job for tomorrow.

However my main concern is reliability, to this end i'll keep the old coil and ignition module in the car for a while.

Driving
Oh my god new coil + new Ignition module what an improvement. Better idle, less choke. revs quicker when you blip the throttle and no hesitation either. BHP / Torque has also been improved especially from 3000 RPM onwards. I used to struggle to get to 70MPH but now it get there easily. It make the spitfire an altogether better experience. If it lasts i think i'll call this one job done.

Or will i there is a option to increase the output from 45mJ of energy per spark to 110mJ per spark. Now i probably don't need it but curiosity might get the better of me. I would have to rewind the transformer add another zenner diode and 1uf capacitor. that would give me 375volts and double the stored energy. all this equals bigger spark.

















No comments: